DIET JUSTICE HAS MOVED, YOU WILL BE FORWARDED TO THE NEW SITE SHORTLY

If you don't get forwarded, click here

Letter of apology from Gavin George, Constituency Director for Jon Ashworth MP

My regular readers will be aware of a nightmare situation that i found myself in during August. Due to ill health i was unable to work so decided to go on benefits for a short period of time so i could recover, with the intention of returning to work late September. As i am officially a student i was unable to get any benefit, and because i "interrupted" my university course due to ill health the student loans company decided they were going to recover the last payment of the 2010/2011 academic year.


(Source)
I could not get any financial help from family, so was in a desperate situation. I was distraught because i didn't know if i was going to be able to afford to eat, and the only option that seemed available to me was quitting university so that i could get benefits. University has been a life changing experience for me, im passionate about my subject, and the thought of having to quit university, and i dont mind admitting it, had me in tears more than once on this particular day. Out of desperation i rang my MP, as i thought it unfair and contrary to the principles of social mobility. I am a productive member of society, am doing well at university, give up a lot of time as a Special Constable and hopefully have a great future ahead of me. Its astonishing that a student cannot get a short term benefit if they are unwell...i don't see it any different from being signed off sick from work.

Anyway, so i rang up my MP and spoke to Gavin George, Jon Ashworth's Constituency Director. Admittedly it was about 1630, but i had spent all day trying to find a solution and calling Jon was a last ditch and desperate call for help. I was treated terribly by Gavin, you can read more about it in this blog post i wrote shortly after the conversation.

At the very least i felt i deserved a letter of apology from Gavin, and i received that letter of apology a few days ago. I have chosen to publish it on my blog because i had so much support from my readers and i want to keep you updated on any progress i make. You guys were really great, and i cant thank you enough.

See below the thank you letter, i'd appreciate your thoughts on the situation now it has calmed down a bit.



This post is part of a series
  1. Now i've lost confidence in my MP, who else can i trust? (19th August 2011)
  2. MP's staff, constitutional status (19th August 2011)
  3. Progress made...convo with Jon Ashworth (21st August 2011)
  4. MP's Staff...part 2 (24th August 2011)
  5. Update on Stuff (8th September 2011)
  6. Letter of apology from Gavin George, Constituency Director for Jon Ashworth MP (20th September 2011)
  7. Phone call with Jon (21st September 2011)



This blog post may also be published at the following addresses:
MySpace
Labour Membersnet