|Fiona Pilkington and her daughter Francecca suffered years |
of abuse from youths as young as 10. Leicestershire Police
failed to take the reports seriously, and eventually Fiona killed
herself and Francecca.
As part of a profession that has been branded as 'institutionally racist', left families with disability 'under seige', and allowed 'endemic sexism' to continue within its own ranks, i feel the weight of responsibility heavily on my shoulders when it comes to supporting vulnerable people and in particular those who suffer discrimination at the hands of another. So i have chosen to directly quote the "Six Top Tips on Challenging Discrimination"...make sure you go to the full article for a more detailed explanation on each point. I also recommend you also give the 'equal and diverse' website a browse, they have some good stuff there.
So, 6 top tips, as quoted from "equal and diverse';
- Not to challenge isn’t an option.
- Challenge immediately if you can.
- Question someone’s motivation.
- Take your time and step back.
- If you aren’t sure with what is being said get clarification.
- Question the factual accuracy of the information being used.
- Use reflection
- Be firm