DIET JUSTICE HAS MOVED, YOU WILL BE FORWARDED TO THE NEW SITE SHORTLY

If you don't get forwarded, click here

National's loss is local's gain

As I am only 25 i've only voted a couple of times. I must admit that I have usually voted based on my opinions of the party leaders, and probably couldn't even name my local candidates most times. But this year I was presented with a new situation, and its only after a few days of mulling that its occurred to me.

This year I was faced with a dilemma. I didn't feel Labour deserved my vote. I didn't feel libdems could cope with my vote. And I couldn't bring myself to vote conservative. My usual, and rather amateurish (but probably most common), tactic of voting based on which leader would make the best prime minister didn't cut it. So I did something new.

For the first time I ignored national politics, and voted based on what was best for my local community. For the first time I read the leaflets coming through my door, and learned the names of my local candidate.

Is the shocking state of national politics resulting in the biggest boost for local politics for decades? Or is this new found interest in local politics a result of my maturing attitude towards politics.

Opinions encouraged as always!